Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kokeshi

For those who don't know what kokeshi dolls are, Japanese dolls, originally from northern Japan. They are made out of wood and they were very simple in design. Traditional Kokeshi dolls had common characteristics that consisted of a basic cylindrical limbless body and a round head. They can also come in different shapes and height. Here are some examples of traditional Kokeshi dolls:

Sometime last year I made a wedding kokeshi couple for my friends who got engaged and will be getting married this year.

After that I started on the Sakura Family but I had to put them on hold.

Since then I have not made many more kokeshi dolls because I've been busy making jewelry. 2 weeks ago I got back into making these beautiful dolls and I made a birthday one for a very close friend. It said "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."

1 comment:

Tea said...

Very Cute! When my cousins got married they gave ever couple a pair of Kokeshi dolls as a favor. I still have them. they make me smile!